Friday, March 9, 2012

Wild Turkey Fanatic Scratch Box Call





I made a small run of figured maple white oak calls last year and had one left over so I decided to dress it up and put her on ebay. I burned a pair of full strutters and was happy with the look of the call. The tails wrapped nicely over the white oak and burned clean. Sometimes when you transition burn over multiple species of wood they burn differently depending on how hard or soft they are.
I looked at the call for about 20 minutes and thought it needed something more. I grabbed the white oak striker and sanded it down to 600 grit and started to draw on it. A side view close up of the gobblers face and tail were exactly what it needed. Oak is tough to burn on due to the open grain but the smooth surface worked out and took a clean image.
This call went to a friend I met at the 2012 NWTF National Convention in Nashville this year. Fred is a combat proven war veteran and full time turkey slayer. I look forward to making your custom box call and custom burned lid.
Thanks Fred for your service to our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment